SGS: Onsite Smelter Laboratory-Project Manager
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 90,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,000 offices and laboratories around the world.
This position is responsible for the project management of the onsite laboratory build including, schedule creation and monitoring, equipment and supply purchasing process monitoring and scheduling, interface and communication with the client, SGS region, SGS Business Team and SGS approved vendors.
Directly to the Global Business Development Manager Onsite Laboratories and dotted line to the responsible Minerals management personnel in the SGS Affiliate/Region.
Technology Transfer Activities
- Create and manage the laboratory equip and start-up project
- Create and manage equipment and laboratory supply schedule
- Create and manage project shipping logistics process and schedule
- Create and manage project HR schedule and assist with recruiting activities as needed, i.e., information, connecting potential recruits with relevant SGS personnel for interviews, site visits (if warranted), etc.
- Create and manage project start-up schedule, including HR activation schedule, technical expert schedule, vendor equipment setup/commissioning schedule, etc.
- Act as primary liaison to the client
- Act as primary liaison to SGS’s HR, Purchasing, IT, Technical and Business groups
- Site visits as required
- Once laboratory commissioning commences provide direct support via establishing residence at the site/in SGS Oman office. Will FiFO from site to home during this period
- Once laboratory is operational provide direct support to the manager and SGS Oman staff with regard to resupply, equipment maintenance/vendor support issues, equipment manuals, SGS methodology acquisition, coordinating laboratory visits, audits, etc.
Service Delivery Monitoring
- Continue to monitor laboratory performance during first year operation by interfacing with laboratory manager, client, SGS Oman, etc.
- Carryout regular audits in the lab, includes formal lab audits using the Group checklist as well as routine department “maintenance” audits.Identify, document and broadcast best lab practice throughout the Group.
- Pursues opportunities to expand the company profile and client relationships.
- May be assigned special or other related projects as well.
Health, Safety & Environment
- Accountable for the Health, Safety and Environment of personnel and the enforcement of all regulations as per the Company Health and Safety Manual, and the immediate reporting of any health, safety or environmental incidents, accidents or concerns to the Regional Manager/Supervisor and H&S department for action.
- Ensure that personal and staff health & safety is maintained as the first priority and all issues are addressed and optimized in accordance with all regulations and company policies.
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits and enforces a clean working environment.
- Education: University degree in a Science related program with a strong preference in Analytical Chemistry and or Geochemistry or a related field.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in a minerals laboratory environment.
- Expert working knowledge of the mining and minerals industry.
- English fluency a requirement, ability to speak a second language: Arabic, French, Russian, Chinese, Portuguese and/or Spanish is an asset
- A sense of diplomacy and networking skills are essential to build relationships with external clients as well as key internal personnel;
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment;
Required skills :
- Strong leadership and management skills with a demonstrated ability to lead and manage people and complex projects.
- Proven ability to adapt to changing site conditions with an ability to find local solutions to tough problems.
- Experience with lab construction and renovation projects.
- Superior organizational, communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
- A sense of diplomacy and networking skills are essential to build relationships with external clients as well as key internal personnel.
- Must be creative, innovative and client-focussed.
- Must use skilled judgement in resolving customer and laboratory related issues.
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and be proficient in using various types of computer software (Word, Excel. PowerPoint, Outlook).
- A solid understanding of MS Project Management system.
- Ability to work well with others & independently.
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Works well under pressure.
- Ability to travel globally
SGS is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process.