Shangri-La: Executive Chef
Are you Shangri-La? It takes a very special kind of person to work at Shangri-La. Someone with an eye for detail and the skills to perform. Someone with an attitude to deliver and a passion to delight. Job SummaryExecutive Chef is responsible for overall success of the daily kitchen operations. Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Works to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget. Supervises all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved.Key Areas
- Manage all functions of the Food Production operations to achieve the optimum departmental profit.
- Plan and organize with the Director of Food and Beverage successful Food and Beverage activities in the hotel and abroad.
- Keep an up-dated hotel policies and procedures file.
- Work with the People Services Manager to ensure the departmental performance of staff is productive.
- Plan for future staffing needs.
- Ensure training needs analysis of Kitchen staff is carried out and training programmes are designed and implemented to meet needs (in collaboration with the Training Manager where applicable).
- Conduct probation and formal performance appraisal in line with company guidelines.
- Maintain up to date staff records and approves leave requests.
- Coach, counsel and discipline staff, providing constructive feedback to enhance performance.
- Participate in the preparation of the hotel’s revenue plan and marketing programmes.
- Determine with the Finance Director the minimum and maximum stocks of all food, material and equipment.
- Work with Finance in the preparation and management of the department’s budget.
- Demonstrate awareness of OH&S policies and procedures and ensure all procedures are conducted safely and within OH&S guidelines and ensure all direct reports do the same.
- Be aware of duty of care and adhere to occupational, health and safety legislation, policies and procedures.
- Be familiar with property safety, first aid and fire and emergency procedures and operate equipment safely and sensibly.
- Initiate action to correct a hazardous situation and notify supervisors of potential dangers.
- Log security incidents and accidents in accordance with hotel requirements.
- Implement and practice HACCP.
Experience And Skills Required
- Must have 10 years’ experience as an Executive Chef in internationally branded 5 star hotels, preferably in city locations across China, Europe, South-East Asia and Middle-East
- Managing production & presentation for fine-dining & buffet restaurants
- Offer exceptional customer service during events and functions as the hotel offers huge a banqueting area as well as provides outdoor catering facilities
- Be able to manage a multi-cultural team in excess of 200 personnel with sensitivity and professionalism across a fleet of more than 22 F&B outelts
- Candidate MUST be Public Relations friendly
- Candidates must havethe ability to develop new concepts
- Must be an excellent communicator Must be extremely astute at managing costs and operating within set budget guidelines
- Design new menus with creativity and passion
- Detailed eye to benchmark standards and quality
- Be sensitive to guest requirements and special dietary requests
- Confident in budgeting, cost control and purchasing
- Must be hands-on involved in all operational activities
- Recruit, motivate, mentor and train the staff
- Work with the higher management in developing promotions
- Maintain cleanliness, safety and hygiene by implementing international standards
Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa Muscat, Sultanate of OmanNestled in between the dramatic backdrop of rugged mountains and the pristine waters of the Sea of Oman, Shangri-La’s Barr Al Jissah Resort and Spa is set on 124 acres of stunning scenery and home to three spectacular hotels: the family orientated Al Waha comprises 262 rooms, the diverse Al Bandar comprises 198 deluxe rooms and the luxurious and most exclusive Al Husn has 180 elegantly appointed guestrooms and suites. The resort also features 22 Food and Beverage outlets, 1,056 sqm ballroom with 8 breakout rooms, wide variety of recreational facilities, and a spa with 12 treatment villas. The resort is only 15 minutes to Muttrah Souk, the old city of Muscat, the Ruwi business district, and within easy access to many local shopping and cultural attractions. Muscat International Airport is just 45 minutes away.