Well Delivery Production Geologist – Shell – Muscat
Shell is expanding its upstream operations in the Sultanate of Oman which will include drilling of exploration, appraisal and development wells, and field development studies. The Well Delivery Production Geologist will be part of a team of Petroleum Engineers and Geoscientists responsible for the maturation of well proposals and well functional specification and the evaluation of subsurface data in support of data acquisition operations for exploration, appraisal and development drilling in Oman. The Well Delivery Production Geologist will report into the Well Delivery Team Lead.
In cooperation with Well Engineering, the Development Team, the Pilot Maturation Team and the Exploration Team, support a state of the art Well Delivery Process and implement opportunities for leaning and continuous improvements in the delivery of wells.
Support the Well Delivery Team Lead in defining the well objectives, well functional specifications and data gathering specifications for each well. Align these activities with the exploration team.
Ensure flexibility and optionality in the drilling sequence by timely maturation of well proposals.
You are expected to be a role model in a safety culture of Goal Zero and ensure safety and integrity are forefront in the day-to-day planning and execution of wells including process safety and compliance to subsurface Design & Engineering Practices for well delivery.
Compile and evergreen Emergency Response material for each well, work closely with geohazards expert on identifying geohazards and mitigating risks.
Act as Well Site Geologist on rotational basis, monitor well progress vs actual (on mud/drill log, seismic and regional context), revise drilling prognosis when required.
Availability out of normal office hours is required as wells approach critical intervals during drilling, e.g. intervals with known geohazards, casing landing points, coring and TD.
Apply Management Of Change (MOC) as/when required.
In joint effort with the Petrophysicist, quality control deliverables of wireline logging, data gathering and sample storage, transport and analysis.
Undertake post-drill analysis for own wells and document results in End of Well reports.
Actively coach young professionals in the geoscience disciplines.
Ensure that all input to well maturation is delivered in compliance with the corporate technical assurance framework.
Quality control geological work as precursor to technical assurance.
Proactively share knowledge, learnings and best practices with colleagues in Subsurface Development Team, the Pilot Maturation Team and the Exploration Team as well as the wider development and exploration community.
Support embedment of competitive scoping into the well delivery plans.
Ensure all data and information obtained from the wells is documented and stored compliant with the corporate guidelines.
- Minimum Bachelors University Degree in Geology
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in the upstream oil and gas industry in subsurface roles
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Well Delivery, including operational experience.
- Demonstrable ability in coaching and developing more junior members of the skill pool.
- Skilled in collaboration and integration with technical experts from other disciplines, especially related to process safety requirements: pore pressure prediction, shallow hazard analysis, depth conversion techniques, petrophysical analysis and geochemistry related H2S analysis.
- Experience in integrated evaluation of well results (while drilling), updating actual vs prognosed well progress, defining casing landing, coring, perforation points and TD.
- Demonstrated experience in writing well proposals and end of well reports.
- Experience in core handling, sampling and planning/managing core analytical programs
- Candidates should be skilled in use of seismic interpretation and geomodelling software.
- Knowledge of well and reservoir surveillance is desirable.
- Experience with tight gas and/or unconventional development and fracking technologies will be desirable.
- Experience in the preparation of emergency response data.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative and inclusive working relationships based on mutual respect, i.e. a team player with well-developed interpersonal skills, who enjoys working in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams and can consistently get the best out of others.
- High degree of achievement drive and initiative.
- Proficiency in English
Shell in Oman has been a partner in the country’s remarkable development and progress over the last several decades. In Shell, we have been providing pioneering technologies and expertise in the energy industry and creating value for the community that we have proudly been long part of.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.